[Read Story] A father`s pain (Episode 6, 7 & 8)


With my driver, Yao, on leave, I drove them to school myself. On hindsight, that was the fatal mistake I made – with the issue at hand, I should not have allowed them to go to school that day.
Having dropped them off at school, I phoned my lawyer, briefed him about what had happened and told him to begin divorce proceedings against my wife.
“Paul, you don’t mean you actually caught your wife, Ivy, and your friend, Edwin making love in your house, in your bedroom and on your bed” the shocked lawyer said.
I told the lawyer that was exactly what happened. And there was no way I was going to stay married to Nora any longer.
Back at work, I had a long queue of patients waiting for me. My day at the hospital usually started at 7:00am; I do the rounds in the wards to review the condition of in-patients. But on this day, I was late. I got to the hospital at 7:45am to find anxious nurses waiting for me.
There was an emergency waiting for me to deal with. A woman who had been in labour for two days needed a caesarian done on her and I was required to do that.
I went to the theatre, saw the patient and then to everybody’s surprise, left without a word. The nurses and other paramedics chased me to my room, pleading with me not waste time lest mother and baby would die.
I sighed and told them I knew it was an emergency but it would be better if another doctor did the surgery. I asked them to return to the woman; another doctor would be there to do the operation.
As soon as they left, I placed a call to a colleague, Dr. Ntim and quickly told him about the surgery and pleaded with him to take over from me because I was not in the right frame of mind to operate on anybody.
Dr. Ntim was a close friend. I had done surgeries on his behalf on many occasions and he had done same for me. So, he didn’t hesitate; he didn’t ask questions either. He knew that if I said I was not in the right frame of mind, then it meant something was wrong. He said he was heading directly to the theatre immediately.
After I put my phone down, I placed my head on my table and sobbed. I felt bad not going to do the surgery but I knew I had taken the right decision; with my mind pre-occupied with my wife’s infidelity, I knew I could make an error that will be fatal to mother and child.
Two hours on, I was still seated behind my desk thinking about my wife and what I caught her doing when the door opened and Dr. Ntim stepped in. I got up and looked up enquiringly at him. He smiled and sitting down and told me that the surgery had been successful; mother and son were doing well.
I got up and hugged him, thanking him for stepping in for me. Then after he sat down, I told him why I was not in the right frame of mind to do the surgery.
“Oh my God! Paul, are you sure of what you are telling me?” he asked, stunned.
“Kojo, would I lie to you in such a sensitive matter? Would I tell you something so shameful for no cause? If you want to watch her and Edwin, here it is. I captured it on my phone,” I said as I switched the phone to video mode. But, Dr. Kojo Ntim stopped me, saying he wouldn’t want to watch.
“It’s good you called me to do this operation for the woman. There is no way you could have been in the right frame of mind to do it,” he said.
He sympathized with me and agreed with me that divorce was the way to go. Then he left. He had patients to attend to. I too had patients to attend to.
………to be continued…………



I found it difficult to concentrate as I attended to the out-patients. This made my progress very slow. Ordinarily, in a matter of three hours, I could attend to at least fifty patients. However, that day, I managed to attend to only twenty people in three hours.
Finally, my session at the hospital came to an end. Dr. Eunice Odame, a Cuban-trained doctor took over. She noticed there was something was wrong with me and asked if I was alright. I forced out a smile, nodding.
From the hospital, I drove to the children’s school to pick them up only to be told that their mother had come for them. Immediately, I regretted bringing them to school that particular day. I could sense what their mother, my wife, was up to.
I had sworn never to have anything to do with her again. Phoning her had therefore been out of the question. But, with her coming to pick the children from school, I had no choice than to phone her.
“Yes” she said when she answered my call.
“Where are my children? Why did you go for them? Bring them back now!” I said, my voice trembling as I tried to control my anger.
“I am sorry you are not going to see them again. They are my children and I know how best to take care of them. Since you want me out of your life, I am leaving with them” she said.
Her answer made me explode. I began to scream on the phone, swearing I would beat her up mercilessly if I get hold of her. That was when she switched off the phone. I phoned again but found to my chagrin her phone was still off. I tried several times to get in touch with her but could not get through. I started trying to recollect the name of the hotel where the police man told me they had checked her into. After a while, I remembered the name and knowing where it was, I drove there at top speed.
I was trembling all over with rage when I arrived at the hotel. Never in my life had I been so angry. I loved my children very much so my wife’s attempt to take them away from me was making me go mad.
On my arrival, I went straight to the reception and made enquiries about my wife. A call was placed to her room but no one answered. Then one of the two receptionists decided to go and find out why she was not answering calls to her room. The receptionist returned a few minutes later to say no one was in her room.
“She has packed out. Her belongings are not in the room” she said. Immediately, I realized that my wife had calculated I will locate her when I find she has gone for the children so she had relocated. She had sneaked out of the hotel, gone for the children and gone into hiding.
I left the hotel still trembling with rage. My estranged wife, Nora, had outsmarted me. Now, there was no way I could contact her unless she calls me back. I was more or less at her mercy.
I drove back home deep in thought and very troubled. That evening, I tried several times to call her again but to no avail. I swore if I ever catch up with her, I will beat her to pulp.
I stayed away deep into the night. Every thirty minutes, I will phone Nora only to be told her phone had been either switched off or was out of coverage area. My patience, by 2:00am, had begun to run out. Finally, at about 4:15am, though I was still worried, I fell asleep. I woke up at exactly 7:15 am to find that my wife’s phone was still off.
I skipped breakfast and drove very early to the children’s school. I aimed to hide around and grab Nora when she brings the children to school. So, I parked my car far away from the school and walked all the way there. I found myself a tree and hid behind it so that when she comes around, she would not spot me.
My waiting turned out to be in vain. Nora did not bring the children to school. I guessed she was not going to bring them. So, finally, I left the school and drove back home.
I spent the entire day at home, trying to get through to her every now and then but her phone was still off. I had earlier phoned the Administrator of the hospital where I worked and told him I was not feeling well so I was not going to be at work.
I did not eat the entire day until evening when I prepared rice for myself and the security man at the gate. I noticed how sad he looked when I approached him with his food on a tray. After collecting the tray from me, he thanked me and said everything will be alright soon. I nodded in appreciation, remembering that on the night I came home to find my wife in bed with my best friend, he was not at post; he had obviously been given the day night off by my wife because she wanted him out of the way. Though I had not briefed him about the scandal, I knew he knew what had happened.
I went to bed very early that evening but it was not until 1:00am that I finally fell asleep. I was woken up at 6:15 am by the ringing of my phone. The caller said he was Nora’s lawyer. He was inviting me to his chambers that morning at 9:00 am to discuss certain claims my wife was making. I was to come with my lawyer.
………….to be continued………



That was how I came to find myself in my wife’s lawyers’ chambers only to be told by him in the presence of my wife and his brother and in the presence of my lawyer that I was not the biological father of my two children, Peter and Pamela.
For me, it was unthinkable that anyone would suggest that the two kids were not my children. Yes, it is claimed often that “only mothers know the real fathers of their children”. However, as far as I was concerned, I did not need even my wife to tell me Peter and Pamela were my children.
Peter was my first born and was ten years old. Pamela was my second. Both children were the joy of my life. Determined to give them the best in life, I worked myself to death, sometimes coming home very late.
When Peter was born, often, I would wake up in the night and spend time just staring at him as he sleeps. Seeing him peacefully asleep were some of my special moments. I would stare at him as if I had not seen him before. Sometimes, I would spend at least thirty minutes by him, praying for him. I would sometimes pray until tears came to my eyes.
Often, at work, I will so much miss him that I rush home the moment I close in order to see him, hold him and cuddle him in my arms.
I cried when he first learnt how to crawl. I cried again when I saw him take his first step. At weekends, I would spend time playing with him till tired, he would fall asleep.
I cried again, shedding tears of joy the first day he went to school. He was very enthusiastic about it. I told myself, as I walk him to school, that my son was about to begin his journey to greatness.
Then Pamela too was born. She was so cute and so adorable that once, one would think she is a doll. In fact at night, after her mother had fed her, I would cuddle her in my arms till she falls asleep.
Pamela was a joy to behold and like her brother, grew rapidly. My wife and my children were the centre of my life. Sometimes, I took them to the beach to have fun. At other times, I would take the children to the playground and sit around to watch them play with other kids. I was determined to be a good father to them.
I watched as our two children grew, moving from class to class in their school. And, they were brilliant too. Anytime any of them came first in class, I will take them either to London, New York, Paris or Johannesburg for holidays. This encouraged them to keep on doing well. Now, my wife had not only shattered the joy of the family but also had the temerity to tell me Peter and Pamela were not my biological children.
Talking about my wife, Nora, I loved her with all my heart and did everything a husband should do to keep her comfortable and happy. She did not lack anything; she had two cars, had staggering amounts in her bank accounts and travelled at will to any country of her choice at my expense. She was the envy of her friends.
When it came to bedroom matters, as far as I could tell, she was having more than enough of me. On the average, we made love twice a week. And, from all indications, my performance was more than she could bargain for. I sometimes leave her shaking all over, ensuring she reaches her c—-x ending with powerful orgasms.
Once every year, she would organize a party for her friends. And, she never ceased to tell me how she appreciated all that I was doing for her. She often said I had made her the crown of her family.
Nora and I ensured that we brought our children up according to Christian values. We attended church service every Sunday. My wife was a key member of the women’s fellowship while I was the treasurer in the men’s fellowship. Nora soon became a deaconess in our church. In spite of all these Christian values we imbibed into ourselves and our children, Nora had no qualms about cheating on me with my best-friend, staining the sanctity of our matrimonial bed. She was now adding insult to injury by telling me I was not the biological father of our children.
Lying in bed, I reflected on how hard I had tried to make my family comfortable and happy. It was so unbelievable that Nora would, in spite of all the love I had shown her, was capable of opening her legs for another man. In fact, if somebody had come to tell me that my wife was cheating on me, I would have told the person he or she was a blatant liar. But, I had had caught her myself in the act with my own friend in my house and on my bed!
I got up from bed and walked out of the room. All was quiet. It was drizzling outside. Hitherto, my house had been one full of activities and the laughter of children. Now, however, it was quiet.
I walked up to the children’s room and opened the door. The beds of Peter and Pamela stood in the middle of the room. Their shoes were neatly arranged on the shoe rack. A story book lay on Peter’s bed while a huge teddy bear which Pamela always went to bed with lay sadly on her bed. My heart was heavy. I had strived to bring up a very happy family but my wife, through her infidelity, had shattered everything. Now, she wanted to take away from me what I treasured most; my two children. With an aching heart, I returned to my bedroom and cried myself to sleep.

…………..to be continued…………


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s